What does the science say about the safety of America’s chicken farming practice?
The tragic accident, when a restaurant manager in Massachusetts died, was the result of a simple chemical reaction called neutralization. That's when an acid and a base are combined. Unfortunately in this case, the base was sodium hypochlorite, or bleach. When bleach is acidified, deadly chlorine is released. It's a terrible shame this young manager wasn't aware of this fatal combination. So you can stay safe, here's what to look out for.
Though chlorine has been attacked as being "dangerous" to one's health, it's got a health-supporting side, too. In pools it combines with nitrogen-containing compounds to take them out of circulation. How do they get there in the first place? A recent study showed that (like it or not) people pee in pools — and the presence of artificial sweeteners proves it.
In our latest intallment of #KuriousKiddos, Karson and Owen wanted to know: What makes our eyes red after swimming? Your first thought may be chlorine, but another culprit is to blame. Gross alert!
The latest CDC report on waterborne illnesses reveals an unexpected villain: Cryptosporidium is a parasite that seems to have been responsible for about one-half of the 90 outbreaks over the two years 2011-12. Simple precautionary measures will help avert illness.
It s summer time and the living s easy. Time to fire up the BBQ, pull the summer clothes down from the attic (hopefully they still fit) and relax around the pool and if we are talking pools, than we also have to talk about chlorine. Chlorine and pools go hand in hand. Any pool owner will tell you that keeping your chlorine levels (a
Watchdog group s mission: scare as many people as possible over nothing at all by exploiting the holiday gifting and party season. Waving toxic chemicals at us is a good way to generate donations. Don t fall for it!