Preston H. Long has been a licensed chiropractor for nearly 30 years, but he has devoted more time fighting chiropractic fraud and abuse than he ever spent adjusting spines. His newest book, Chiropractic Abuse: An Insider's Lament, was released by the American Council on Science & Health in October 2013.
The book documents Long s legacy as a consultant to insurance companies and law enforcement agencies, including the FBI, targeting corrupt chiropractors in an effort to end patient abuse and prevent fraudulent claims.
Long writes that chiropractors promise too much, offer too many unnecessary services, take too many x-rays, and perform manipulations that are potentially dangerous. I wrote the book to protect patients from possible death at the hands of chiropractors, he said. It was out of frustration, watching unsuspecting patients being taken advantage of. In a particularly interesting chapter, Long, as a member of the profession, describes "Twenty Things Most Chiropractors Won't Tell You."
- Chiropractic theory is not based on science.
- Many chiropractors promise too much.
- Our education is vastly inferior to that of medical doctors
- Our legitimate scope is very narrow.
- Little of what chiropractors do has been studied.
- Unless your diagnosis is obvious, it's best to get diagnosed elsewhere.
- We offer lots of unnecessary services.
- Cracking of the spine doesn t mean much.
- If the first few visits don t help you, more treatment probably won t help.
- We take too many x-rays.
- Research on spinal manipulation does not reflect what takes place in most chiropractic offices.
- Neck manipulation is potentially dangerous.
- Most chiropractors don t know much about nutrition.
- Chiropractors who sell vitamins charge much more that it costs them.
- Chiropractors have no business treating young children.
- The fact that patients swear by us does not mean we are actually helping them.
- Insurance companies don t want to pay for chiropractic care.
- Lots of chiropractors do really strange things.
- Don t expect chiropractic licensing boards to protect you.
- The media rarely look at what we do wrong.
To purchase a copy of Chiropractic Abuse: An Insider's Lament, click here: http://amzn.to/1lzyi84